Postgresql installation problems.

Jason Tishler jason@tishler.net
Mon Nov 18 13:04:00 GMT 2002

Kurt,

Note I do not have access to XP Home or Pro, so there is a limit to how
much I can help.

Any XP users successfully running PostgreSQL?  If so, please post your
experiences to the list.  I'm especially interested in XP Home, since I
assume that XP Pro will be the same as NT/2000.

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 05:44:58PM +0100, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> I'm trying to install postgresql on windows XP.

Please see the following thread:

    http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-cygwin/2002-11/msg00037.php

It may be helpful to you -- especially if you are using XP Home which is
uncharted territory.

> I have a problem getting the ipc-deamon to work.  When I run
> ipc-daemon --install-as-service, it doesn't want to start.

What version of Cygwin are you using?  An older version (IIRC, 1.3.13),
had issues with running ipc-daemon as a service.  Please upgrade to the
latest Cygwin, if necessary.

> If I then try my initdb, it hangs itself creating the template1
> database, like in case the ipc-daemon isn't running.

The above implies that you are not using the latest Cygwin PostgreSQL,
please upgrade to the latest.

> Note that the documentation says that you have to run initdb
> before you start the ipc-daemon service, but I thought that that
> is wrong and initdb requires the service too.

The above "typo" has been recently corrected:

    http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/postgresql/postgresql-7.2.3.README

> I've also tried just running "ipc-daemon &", but that didn't seem
> to help either, it always hangs creating the database.

Please read the README regarding what clean up is necessary when
switching the account under which ipc-daemon runs.

Jason