'less' can't determine terminal size?

Sergei Okhapkin sokhapkin@LEAPSTONE.com
Tue Nov 19 18:33:00 GMT 2002

What is the output of "stty -a" inside rxvt window?

-----Original Message-----
From: Tiller, Jason [mailto:jtiller@sjm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 9:04 PM
To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'
Subject: 'less' can't determine terminal size?

Hi, All, :)

I updated my installation recently, and I'm now suffering from an odd
problem with less.  I hope that somebody can point me in a direction for
my own investigations.  I had been running 1.3.12, I believe - after the
refresh on Friday my cygwin1.dll is at 1.3.15.  bash is 2.05b.0(7).  I
run bash via rxvt-2.7.2-14.  Here's my rxvt run command:

C:\WINNT\system32\cmd.exe /c start C:\cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -tn "rxvt" -fg
grey -bg black -fn "Fixedsys" -sr -sl 5000 -e /bin/bash --login -i

I believe these environment variables are relevant:

TERM=rxvt
LESS=iFMSX# 8
CYGWIN=tty nontsec

My problem is this: 'less' no longer properly updates the screen when I
scroll through a file.  Paging forward is fine, but when trying to
scroll by line ('j' or 'e'), 'less' tells me that it is moving through
the file, but the display doesn't update.  The status line (which '-M'
enables) shows the currently displayed lines changing ('75-97', '76-98',
77-99', etc.), but the displayed data doesn't change.  Paging forward
again causes the screen to update properly.

Also, when I scroll backward ('k'), the normally-blank command line
(bottom
line) becomes filled with the previous status line.  So, if I'm at the
bottom of the file and the bottom two lines are:

=====>
.bash_profile lines 105-127/127 (END)

<=====

Then, after pressing 'k', the bottom two lines will read:

=====>
.bash_profile lines 104-126/127 99%
.bash_profile lines 105-127/127 (END)
<=====

This *seems* to mean to me that 'less' can't determine the right size my
rxvt window.  My theory is reinforced because 'less' suddenly finds its
brains again when I resize the window manually.

How should I go about fixing this?  Thanks in advance for any pointers,

---Jason Tiller

This communication may contain information that is proprietary,
privileged, confidential or legally exempt from disclosure.  If you are
not a named addressee, you are notified that you are not authorized to
read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this communication without the
consent of the sender and that doing so may be unlawful. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify the sender via
return e-mail and delete it from your computer. Thank you. St. Jude
Medical, Inc.