1.3.15 - with long command line, command hangs + thrashes. nt4 (? bash/tcsh)
Willis, Matthew
Matthew.Willis@CIBC.ca
Wed Nov 20 14:58:00 GMT 2002
A while ago I posted a weird bug; it's something I can work around but I
figured that I should write up a better description. I don't see this bug on
every machine I use, which makes it especially puzzling.
On NT4, I see the following: I find that once a command line exceeds a
certain number of characters, and I call an external program, things get
stuck. I don't observe the same thing on my w2k laptop.
For example:
$
LONGARG=11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111
1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111
1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111
1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111
1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111
1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111
1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111
1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111
1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111
1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111
1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111
1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111
111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111
$ echo $LONGARG
works fine, which seems to use a built-in "echo" command, but
$ /usr/bin/echo $LONGARG
hangs. In the process viewer, it keeps using more and more memory.
Eventually the system falls down. If I shorten "LONGARG", it doesn't hang.
When I strace the hanging process all I get is
$ strace -p 378
Attached to pid 378 (windows pid 378)
13 13 [sig] bash 378! wait_sig: looping
I note the same situation in bash and tcsh.
<<cygcheck.out.bz2>>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: cygcheck.out.bz2
Type: application/octet-stream
Size: 4491 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/attachments/20021120/017a7a79/attachment.obj>
-------------- next part --------------
--
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting: http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation: http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/
More information about the Cygwin
mailing list