pipe performance problem

Randall R Schulz rrschulz@cris.com
Fri Nov 22 15:29:00 GMT 2002

Thomas,

At 14:04 2002-11-22, you wrote:

>now please correct me if i'm wrong, but when it works with 1.1.18 and not
>with 1.3.x and the only constant that changes is cygwin, wouldn't every
>fan of logic scream out loud then: it's cygwin! :)

Don't bite my head off, Tuvok, but your "logic" is flawed. Unfortunately
(?), at the moment I don't really feel like giving another lecture on
computing system performance analysis.

However, I am mildly interested in this and also have a certain interest in
having command-line alternatives to Nero for burning CDs, so I'm willing to
at least add a data point by trying to run this software on my system.

I don't know what sort of system you're using, but as desktops go, mine's
pretty high-performance: 2.4 GHz processor, PC 3100 RAM; dual-channel
Ultra-160 SCSI controller with fast disks segregated from slow ones; CD
recorder on SCSI. I have two Ultra 160 hard drives and one slow one (I
think it runs at 40 MB/sec, but it could be 20).

So, where do I get this CD recording software you're using? I don't know if
you built it yourself or got a pre-built binary, but I think I'd like to
configure and build it myself. Is that an option?

>anyway i'll try to provide more information and will do some additional
>testing. and i'll write the cdrecord developer about my new findings and
>see what he thinks about it.
>
>thomas

[ See what you can do about that broken shift key, OK? ]

Thanks.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA