impure_ptr/Mingw and Cygwin

Andrew DeFaria ADeFaria@Salira.com
Fri Nov 22 18:09:00 GMT 2002

I wish to use -mno-cygwin to produce an executable that can work without
Cygwin installed. I have successfully done this before. Now I'm adding
some functionality to my program and it is no longer working! I've
worked it out such that it will compile and link but when my program
runs it simply stops returning an exit code of 5. Running this under gdb
produces a SIGSIGV Segmentation fault then you attempt to run it.

I've whittled it down to the bare minimum to reproduce the problem.
Seems to me the problem is somewhere between newer versions of gcc 3.X
and Mingw.

File: foo.c:

#include <stdio.h>
int main (void) {
  printf ("Hello World\n");
  fprintf (stderr, "%s\n", "Hello World 2");
}

$ gcc -g foo.c -mno-cygwin -I/usr/include -o foo -liberty -lcrtdll -lg
$ foo
$

Note that if I do not put -lg then I get:

/tmp/ccKAyr4S.o(.text+0x4b): In function `main':
/dview/defaria_2.0/salira/neopon/build/maketools/foo.c:4: undefined
reference to `_impure_ptr'

Any ideas?