cmd.exe as telnetd login shell: "mode con LINES=24 COLS=80" has no effect..

Ross Smith II ross@smithii.com
Fri Nov 29 10:49:00 GMT 2002

Tom,

The Windows Telnet Service fixes the MORE and DOSKEY problems you describe.

If you want to disallow external telnet, you could block port 23, and
require users to ssh in, and then run

% telnet localhost

Of course, they'll have to enter their NTLM username/password.

You could even change their shell to be a shell script containing this
command.

Can anybody guess why cmd.exe works with the Windows Telnet Service but
fails with cygwin's ssh or telnet?

-Ross