crontab: no changes made

Uwe Mayer merkosh@planet-interkom.de
Mon Oct 7 14:08:00 GMT 2002

Hallo Igor,

Monday, October 7, 2002, 3:44:41 AM, you wrote:

IP> The correct name for the variable is VISUAL, although EDITOR also works.

I found it again. "man 1 crontab"

>> export EDITOR=emacs
>>
>> Then crontabs starts up emacs, editing a temporary file (i.e.
>> /tmp/cron.1900)
>> However, when I close emacs (with or without saveing changes to the
>> tmp file) crontab displays "crontab: no changes made to crontab".

IP> If you are running Cygwin emacs, make sure it's writing the file in place.
IP> In a separate shell, check that the inode number of the temp file is the
IP> same before and after emacs has written the changes (using 'ls -i').
IP>         Igor

I was useing the text-mode version of emacs from Cygwin.
I did that. After exporting VISUAL I called crontab -e and had a look
at the inode:

merkosh@M111 /tmp
$ ls -i
1129733 crontab.2072

Then I saved the file from emacs:

merkosh@M111 /tmp
$ ls -i
 868475 crontab.2072  1129733 crontab.2072~

Then I quit emacs, not saveing again:

merkosh@M111 /tmp
$ ls -i
 934013 #crontab.2072#  1129733 crontab.2072~

:(
You were right. The original file was renamed to <filename>~.
I'll have to check if I can disable that. I remember reading somewhere
about that.

Thanks very much. That was a good idea.

Ciao
Uwe                            mailto:merkosh@planet-interkom.de