my CVS on NT stopped working

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Tue Oct 8 11:04:00 GMT 2002

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Kris Thielemans wrote:

> Hi,
>
> (cross-posted to info-cvs@gnu.org)
>
> I'm using CVS 1.11.1p1 on NT 4.0 sp6a (CVS compiled from sources using
> cygwin). My CVS server is a Linux machine (also running 1.11.1p1). I had a
> module checked out ages ago
> and was working happily with it. Now I suddenly get the following error
> message:
>
> $ pwd
>   ~/parapet/PPhead
>
> $ cvs -d parapet:/usr/local/cvsroot -t status Makefile
>
>  -> main loop with CVSROOT=parapet:/usr/local/cvsroot
>  -> Starting server: rsh parapet cvs server
>  -> Sending file `Makefile' to server
> /#cvs.lock): No such file or directoryctory for `/usr/local/cvsroot/parapet/PPhead
> 'vs server: failed to obtain dir lock in repository `/usr/local/cvsroot/parapet/PPhead
> cvs [server aborted]: read lock failed - giving up
>  -> Lock_Cleanup()
>
> The jumbled up look of the error message is not an artefact of the mail
> software. It's really how it comes out.
>
> However, when I check out the module again somewhere else, everything works
> nicely. Even stranger, when I run cvs from in gdb, it works fine.
>
> I've tried to upgrade to cvs 1.11.2, but identical problems. Same problem
> when I use cygwin's cvs version that setup installs (didn't try to gdb trick
> there)
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Kris Thielemans
> (kris.thielemans <at> ic.ac.uk)
> Imaging Research Solutions Ltd
> Cyclotron Building
> Hammersmith Hospital
> Du Cane Road
> London W12 ONN, United Kingdom
>
> web site address: http://www.irsl.org/~kris

Kris,

It looks like your Cygwin cvs sends a carriage return as part of the
directory name.  Seems to me that your CVS/Root and CVS/Repository files
are opened in text mode.  See if you've changed the mount structure (i.e.
mounted something in binary mode that was previously mounted as text).

Also, since you've compiled cvs yourself, did you link it against
automode.o?  You may need to relink cvs to get it working.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Water molecules expand as they grow warmer" (C) Popular Science, Oct'02, p.51