paths like //usr/local

Scott Prive Scott.Prive@storigen.com
Tue Oct 15 14:01:00 GMT 2002

FYI: I actually *had* hostnames like "var", "tmp" and so on at one time... :-)

Cygwin maps UNIX/POSIX behavior on top of NT, but NT was designed to be compatible with DOS's *broken* conventions, so NT is half-broken.

Any kind of parsing for mounts like you suggest would probably incur a performance hit, generate limitations, and cause breakage everywhere.

The escaping can be annoying but it's livable IMO. I suggest not to use //, but to use the "proper" path convention -- and escape accordingly. This is more keystrokes and more to remember, but it seems bugfree and 100% consistent. I shudder at the thought of `rm -rf /path` going to an "interpreted" mount point.

Example:

Desired path: \\server\share

Bash: \\\\server\\share

Perl - going THROUGH bash, using system():
\\\\\\\\server\\\\share

Slightly off topic, but standard Bash *does* support hostname completion. You have to configure it -- see standard BASH2 documentation online. I have no idea how well it works with Cygwin and with UNC pathing, but it works on UNIX with automount and ssh.

If nothing, it could be extended by someone for UNC.

-Scott