Cygwin version of GNU Nano does not accept CTRL-C

Rocco Corsi rocco.corsi@sympatico.ca
Thu Oct 17 15:19:00 GMT 2002

Gareth Pearce wrote:

>> Maybe a dumb question.  Why does Cygwin not automatically update
>> environment variables as part of the installation?  Or at least ask
>> if they should be updated?
>
> Well thats a little complex... - in win9x/ME - it would have to edit
> autoexec.bat - win NT/2k/XP - fiddle with the system control panel
> settings wherever they are stored.  And then theres system vs
> user.
>
> The post install script could add a /etc/profile.d/ entry - but the tty
> variable is supposed to be set before initialising cygwin or else it
> can do some bizare things that are not so nice.
>
> In either case - asking a question in a postinstal script would be
> against the current trend of usage of postinstall scripts which work
> without interaction.  (and if unattended setup work is to reach
> completition, they should probably stay that way)
>
> Otherwise - it would have to be done by the setup program itself
> and I suspect that Robert would not be interested in that given
> that hes trying to make setup purely data-driven.
>
> and Not asking a question - is not the go since while for best
> usage nano and emacs (and others?) need tty.  Nano at least
> is mostly functional without it.  And tty is an option for a reason,
> people have experienced problems with tty On.
>
> While I might think that tty should be on by default thus avoiding
> these problems alltogeather, having never experienced tty
> related problems.  I dont use a very broad range of cygwin
> related things and so am probably not representitive of the
> broader cygwin communitiy.
> However I didnt expect ntsec to have become the default
> so soon - maybe tty will change despite my expectations
> to the contrary.

Thanks for the information.  Too many options for the environment
variables and if Cygwin does something incorrectly it could cause
trouble.    Updating those files or panels would be a snap for advanced
users, so lets leave it up to the user, a least for now.

Actually, I haven't installed Cygwin for the first time on a machine, in
a long while.  Does it popup a dialog to telling the user to modify the
PATH to include C:\cygwin\bin? If such a dialog exists, it could also
mention the CYGWIN variable set to "tty".  Just an idea.

Rocco