Cygwin feature request - setup.exe release notes

Scott Prive Scott.Prive@storigen.com
Fri Oct 18 07:21:00 GMT 2002

Feature request: For SOME packages, release Notes that can be pulled up from the installer.

Many people run Cygwin and are not members of this list. Ideally, people would read the mailing list before installing, and again before upgrading.

This is not the reality and human nature is difficult to change.

So in the spirit of this, a "nice" feature would there were a pop-up warning or note for "risky" upgrades, or first time installs. This would not need to be done for most packages, just those that may change expected or assumed behavior.

For example: I saw the post about the security defaults changing. If you're on this list, you would know this, but otherwise you are in for a big surprise in "cvs file attributes", etc. There might be other examples but this is what comes to me now.

In short: if it's worth warning users on the list about, the software might do the same.

Is this a bad idea? (And no, I can't send patches for this :-)

-Scott