sshd: no remote connect possible

Christian R Molls CMolls@gmx.net
Sun Oct 20 06:40:00 GMT 2002

Hi everybody,

I started using cygwin a couple of days ago, primarily to be able to
access my windows system from work via ssh/sftp. I installed it to a
FAT32 partiton, added openssh, configured the server as described in
the howto at tech.erdelynet.com and everything worked out-of-the-box. I
could log in to my cygwin system from localhost and from the linux box
at work.

As I liked cygwin a lot (in fact I was absolutely fascinated), I decided
to put it onto a larger NTFS drive to have more room to play with Xfree,
gcc, apache etc. I deleted my old cygwin installation and started from
scratch. Everything is working fine, however I can no longer access my
system via ssh from the outside.

When I try to connect from a remote linux box, all I get is "connecting
to port 22" and nothing happens (see below).

,---- [ trying to connect from a remote machine ]
| [~]$ ssh -v xxx.xxx
| OpenSSH_3.4p1 Debian 1:3.4p1-1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL
| 0x0090603f
| debug1: Reading configuration data /home/chris/.ssh/config
| debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
| debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port will not be
| trusted.
| debug1: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
| debug1: Connecting to xxx.xxx [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] port 22.
| [....nothing happens....]
`----

It seems as if port 22 was only accessible locally, but not from the
outside. I am not behind a firewall. XPs built-in firewall is turned
off as well.

cygwin is installed on an NTFS drive with system variable CYGWIN set
to "ntsec tty". I have used "ssh-host-config -y" to configure sshd and
entered those values there as well.

The server seems to start up ok:

,---- [ windows event log ]
| sshd : Win32 Process Id = 0x8E0 : Cygwin Process Id = 0xCE0 : Server
| listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22..
|
| sshd : Win32 Process Id = 0xC80 : Cygwin Process Id = 0xC80 : `sshd'
| service started
`----

A ssh session from a cygwin bash session on localhost (working fine):

,---- [ connecting from localhost ]
| [/etc]$ ssh -v cm@localhost
| OpenSSH_3.4p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090607f
| debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port will not be
| trusted.
| debug1: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
| debug1: Connecting to localhost [127.0.0.1] port 22.
| debug1: Connection established.
| debug1: identity file /home/cm/.ssh/identity type -1
| debug1: identity file /home/cm/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
| debug1: identity file /home/cm/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
| debug1: Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software version
| OpenSSH_3.4p1
| debug1: match: OpenSSH_3.4p1 pat OpenSSH*
| Enabling compatibility mode for protocol 2.0
| debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.4p1
|
| [...snip...]
|
| debug1: next auth method to try is password
| cm@localhost's password:
`----

I have attached the file permissions relevant to sshd and a copy of my
sshd_config file:

,---- [ file permissions ]
`----

,---- [ /etc/sshd_config ]
| Port 22
| Protocol 2,1
| ListenAddress 0.0.0.0
| StrictModes no
| UsePrivilegeSeparation yes
`----

I also tried to run sshd stand-alone via "/usr/sbin/sshd -d", however
to no avail either. Any hints?

Best regards,
chris