setup / installation via cdrom: solved

Frank B. Brokken f.b.brokken@rc.rug.nl
Mon Oct 21 03:23:00 GMT 2002

Dear Igor Pechtchanski, you wrote:

> setup.ini should be in e:\cygwin, and you should specify that as your
> local package directory, not e:\cygwin\release.

Aargh! How come I didn't try that myself??? Probably because of the E:\release
bug in setup. Anyway, your suggestion solved the problem: now that the
packages are in E:\cygwin\release, and I set the download directory to
E:\cygwin, everything starts as expected.

I have to add that in my opinion the information offered by setup is a bit
confusing: after specifying that you want to install from a local directory,
it is a bit confusing to have setup tell you that you should `select a
directory where you want Setup to store the installation files it
downloads...'. What downloading? After all, you already downloaded the files
and burned them on a CD.

    I think it would be less confusing if the program would be asking you to
specify the parent-directory of the `release' directory.

    But apart from all this: many thanks to Igor and all others who reacted to
my question.

    Cordially,

--
    Frank B. Brokken
    Computing Center, University of Groningen