Latest update problems (ntsec and file permissions, I think)

William A. Hoffman billlist@nycap.rr.com
Mon Oct 21 08:08:00 GMT 2002

What is the official story on the latest updates of cygwin?
I recently upgraded (a year or so old version of cygwin), and
after the upgrade, very little worked. I had trouble
with users and file permissions. A co-worker at my company,
did a fresh install, and had the same type of problems.
All the files created had no permissions and a user that
cygwin did not know about. gcc produced .exe files that could
not be run.

After looking at the mailing list for a while I was able to figure
out that this has something to do with the new ntsec defaults.
I also had to do this by hand:

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 07:23:25PM -0400, Rolf Campbell wrote:
>That fixed all of my problems! "mkpasswd -du mywindowslogin >
>/etc/passwd", and then gcc started producing programs that were
>executable again.

Once I did that, things were better. Is this a problem that is going
to be fixes, or are people supposed to know that they have to run
mkpasswd -du after running setup? BTW, I also tried setting CYGWIN to
nontsec, but this had no effect on the problem.

If a new user were to try cygwin right now, I think they would be a bit
confused.

-Bill