1.3.13: makewhatis errors due to chmod

Mark Connell mconnell@bigpond.net.au
Mon Oct 21 19:50:00 GMT 2002

On WinXP when I run /usr/sbin/makewhatis -w I get the messages:
bash$ [Administrator] makewhatis -w
chmod: changing permissions of `/tmp/whatis800': Invalid argument
chmod: changing permissions of `/usr/man/whatis': Invalid argument
chmod: changing permissions of `/usr/local/man/whatis': Invalid argument
chmod: changing permissions of `/usr/ssl/man/whatis': Invalid argument

Looking at the source there are commands to perform chmod on some dirs.
I have CYGWIN=ntsec in my cygwin.bat as follows:
@echo off
D:
chdir D:\cygwin\bin
set CYGWIN=ntsec
set PATH=/usr/sbin:/cygdrive/d/WINDOWS/system32
bash --login -i

So, as the FAQ suggests to run makewhatis to build the whatis db, what
is the solution?

Mark