Initializing and cygwin.bat

Gary R. Van Sickle g.r.vansickle@worldnet.att.net
Mon Oct 21 21:08:00 GMT 2002

> Hallo Sven,
>
> > BTW: why is cygwin installed with that batch-file, and why doesn't
> > the setup create shortcuts to the command "bash.exe --login" but
> > to cygwin.bat?
> > Has this been done for some reason?
>
> Some environment settings need to be done before the first Cygwin
> process starts, e.g. CYGWIN settings like 'ntsec tty binmode notitle
> ...'.  'ntsec' is on by default now but you still may also use
> others.

I find it best to simply set this in your regular Windows environment.  That
way, regardless of how you end up invoking cygwin prog's you get the same
behavior.

>  You don't need to set them globally in the Windows
> environment if you set them in the batch file.  There may be some more
> reasons why there is this batch file?  Maybe there were no patches to
> change this?

I suspect it's the latter.  I personally never use the batch file anymore, and
can't think of a reason why it would still be necessary or desireable,
especially with rxvt working well these days.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Brewer.  Patriot.