Help with special bash key bindings ("Ctrl+Left", "Ctrl+Right", etc.)

Randall R Schulz rrschulz@cris.com
Wed Oct 23 01:57:00 GMT 2002

Milan,

Most everything you need to know is in the READLINE section of the BASH
manual "page" ("man bash" or "pinfo bash"). The only interesting oversight
that I'm aware of is the "paste-from-clipboard" action which will, as the
name suggests, past the first line of the clipboard (up to but not
including the first newline) into the current input line.

Key bindings for the arrow keys don't carry information about the control
key, but they are modified by the ALT key. You might want to experiment
with the "od" command to see what sequences are produced by different keys
(Fn, arrow keys, the insert, home... cluster).

Note, too, that different sequences result for _some_ of the keys in
console vs. RXVT windows (given that fact, I'd avoid assuming that xterm
matches either of them exactly, though it might--I don't know).

Good luck.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA