Cygwin/Procmail stops working after setup.exe upgrade

Bjoern Kahl AG Resy kahl@informatik.uni-kl.de
Wed Oct 23 04:51:00 GMT 2002

Hallo !

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Thomas Baker wrote:

> > > Oho, indeed it does, and "/home/tbaker" doesn't (yet) exist!
> > >
> > > Any reason I shouldn't just "vi /etc/passwd" to reset HOME to
> > > "/cygdrive/e"?

> >  I think its better to use mount the map /home/tbaker to the
> >  place your files life.
> >
> >  If you have multiple accouts. its even better to map /home to a
> >  place, where all user have a directory with there username.

> Looks like it might be easier just to spell out "/cygdrive/e"
> in my .procmailrc instead of using the $HOME variable
> there...??

 For this sepical case, yes that is the quick solution.

 But there may exist other programs that wil get upset
 with a non-existing/wrong "home" entry in /etc/passwd.

 So, sooner or later, you better fix the root-problem,
 (making $HOME and "home"-entry in passwd work) than
 patching a lot of other scripts or tools.

 Have fun!

   Bjoern Kahl