Ash manual/info. (was: Re: "==" operand not found)

Gary R. Van Sickle g.r.vansickle@worldnet.att.net
Thu Oct 24 02:25:00 GMT 2002

> Randall R Schulz wrote:
> >
> > You're most likely accustomed on your Linux system to "/bin/sh"
> > being BASH. On Cygwinm /bin/sh is ASH, and it is far more minimal
> > in its implementation of the POSIX shell standard, and does not
> > provide "==" as an equivalent for "=" in the "test" (a.k.a. "[")
> > built-in.
>
> While there is an info file on bash, and even a man entry, there
> seems to be nothing whatsoever about ash on the system.  If we are
> not able to use the abilities of bash,

Put "#!/bin/bash" (no quotes) at the top of the script in question and go nuts.

As far as ash docs are concerned, a quick Google reveals little other than that
ash apparently stands for "[Kenneth] Almquist's sh".  You'll probably have more
success looking for "POSIX shell standards".

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Brewer.  Patriot.