bin dir not created during cygwin setup in Win2kPro

Jim Langston jlangston@celsinc.com
Thu Oct 24 17:40:00 GMT 2002

> *	From: Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu>
> <SNIP>
>
> Jim,
>
> Unfortunately, any suggestion that does not contain "try installing it
> again" will leave you with a computer without a Cygwin installation.  So,
> do try installing it again following these steps:
>
> Cleanup:
> C1) Open Windows Explorer, browse to C:\cygwin, either delete it
>     completely or rename it to something else (if it exists)
> C2) Start->Run, type "regedit", Edit->Find, type "Cygwin", select Keys
>     only
>  C2.1) Remove (or rename) all the keys you find to something else, say,
>        Cygwin1 (you don't have to rename subkeys once the top-level key is
>        renamed)
> <SNIP>

Igor,

Thank you.  One of my cygwin registry settings was hosed.  It was pointing the
bin directory to the directory of some other SSH program I had installed earlier.
I don't have the details right now, but I will post them when I get home so the
specific solution will be in the archives.

I've kept the old cygwin registry entries as cygwin1 so I can compare them and
state what specifically was hosed.  As for now, I have a working cygwin installation.

Thanks again.

Jim Langston