no dice yet on .net server?

Michael D. Crawford crawford@goingware.com
Fri Oct 25 02:02:00 GMT 2002

A while back I wrote an opinion piece about how OS vendors to developers a
disservice by getting them to write their apps to platform-specific APIs:

Freeing the Developer from OS Vendor Shackles
http://zoolib.sourceforge.net/doc/why.html

I think the posix subsystem in NT was originally meant to qualify Windows for
government procurement.  It's for much the same reason that Apple developed A/UX.

But now that lots of people in the government are using Windows, they're using
Win32 apps and not running stuff in posix anymore.  So I guess those regulations
seem to have fallen by the wayside.

Mike
--
Michael D. Crawford