NetworkSimplicity SSH (the cause of: bin dir not created during cygwin setup)

Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com
Fri Oct 25 08:44:00 GMT 2002

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 02:48:25PM +0100, Max Bowsher wrote:
>Jim Langston <res03lvq@gte.net> wrote:
>> I have cygwin installed now, this is a follow up report, as promised,
>> as to the mess I found in the registry.
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin1\mounts v2
>>    Subkeys /bin /etc /ssh /usr/bin /usr/local/bin /usr/local/etc /var
>>   all set incorrectly off of:
>>    e:\Program Files\NetworkSimplicity\
>
>www.networksimplicity.com/openssh is distributing a cut down ssh/cygwin
>environment. This is the cause of all these problems.
>
>The don't seem to be providing the source to their distribution, or even
>linking to cygwin.com (although they do mention the name cygwin).
>:-(

Hmm.  The last time I looked, they were compliant with the GPL even if
they were a little disingenuous about what they were providing.

This is rather frustrating though both because it took the original
poster so very long to figure out that he'd installed a variant cygwin
release and because said variant caused such problems.

cgf