gvimdiff fails on network drive

Shing-Fat Fred Ma fma@doe.carleton.ca
Fri Oct 25 12:12:00 GMT 2002

Hello,

I'm using cygwin-1.3.12-4 on WinME.  I'm
using gvim 6.0 to diff a pair of files residing
on a mounted network drive i.e. /SomeUser
is a mount pointing to \\RemoteSunBox\SomeUser.
Read/write access to /SomeUser is no problem.
Using "gvim -d" on localfiles is no problem.
But using "gvim -d" on files residing on /SomeUser
generates the error E97 (can't create diff files).

I thought it might be a path name problem,
though both invocations would use unix
style path names.  But just to see, I tried
putting this in _vimrc (courtesy Machitani-san):

> if has("unix")
>   set shell=/bin/bash
> elseif has("win32")
> " set shell=c:/cygwin/bin/bash
>   set shell=c:\\cygwin\\bin\\bash.exe
>   set shellcmdflag=-c
>   set shellpipe=2>&1\|\ tee
>   set shellslash
> endif

But the problem persisted.  Just as a note,
my gvim is invoked by the bash function

{
    ( unset SHELL;
    /c/Program\ Files/vim/vim60/gvim $* ) &
}

because gvim's diff *never* worked prior
to the "unset SHELL".

Thanks for any suggestions.

Fred

Fred Ma