Problem with rsh

David Rothenberger daveroth@acm.org
Fri Oct 25 15:50:00 GMT 2002

Check your /etc/passwd file and make sure there is no entry in the
password field (the second field).  You want something like this:

someuser::11150:...

and not something like this:

someuser:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:11150:...

An easy way to check if this is the culprit is to try doing an
rlogin.  For me, this will ask me for a password and then succeed if
I have an entry in the password field.  If the password field is
empty, it succeeds without asking for a password.