COM Servers

Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) lhall@rfk.com
Sun Oct 27 06:33:00 GMT 2002

Understood.  You're right to be concerned about COM server implementations.
COM is very much driven by MS.  It's not too hard to be a COM client with
gcc but if you want to build a COM server from scratch without MS tools,
you're going to have problems finding an IDL compiler and you may find issues
with ATL too (maybe not - I haven't tried though).  In terms of IDL
compilation and component programming, you may find more usable tools with
gcc if you switch to CORBA.  My guess is that counts out ActiveX though.
So if ActiveX is actually your goal here, you're likely stuck with MS all
around.  If the concepts of ActiveX and COM/ATL is your interest, then
CORBA and other alternatives lend themselves better to the gcc environment
and pretty much cover the same ideas.

Good luck,