domain users problem

Scott Prive Scott.Prive@storigen.com
Mon Oct 28 11:26:00 GMT 2002

No one here will know about your non-Cygwin tools. I'm sure you can get this all to work, but you'll need to solve the problem yourself.

Here are some suggestions for your debugging; they MAY or MAY NOT work but could provide you with clues. Also, these are generalizations and I may not be 100% accurate. Hopefully this help you some..

>From a shell -- Cygwin OR MS Windows CDM.EXE, you can switch to the "other" environment using commands.
ex: (from CMD.EXE)
Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
(C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

C:\WINNT>sh
$ pwd
/cygdrive/c/WINNT
$ cmd
Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
(C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>sh -c 'ls -l *sh'
sh -c 'ls -l *sh'
-r-xr-xr-x    1 Administ None         1083 Oct  7 14:59 watch.sh

If you want to "mix" commands or run Cygwin commands from a C: prompt, you need to make sure your Windows Environment variable PATH includes the path for Cygwin's "bin" directory. Must be defined as Windows-style path like so: C:\Cygwin\bin

If you can then run Cygwin commands from a C: prompt, be aware that Cygwin expects UNIX style pathing "/tmp" not "c:\temp". Highly reccomended you search the list archives and documentation regarding "cygpath".

I'd try to determine why you get long timeouts before your system gives up with "command not found". That's a clue you have a pathing issue. You might want to create "testing" shell or BAT scripts throughout your command chain, and have them echo to the screen what they get as parameters (I'm assuming something in your setup calls another command which can't be found).

Personally I'd suggest you consider staying inside the Cygwin environment and use Cygwin's sshd server to remotely execute commands. Setting up the sshd server is not always trivial due to NT permissions, etc. but when it's working, it's REALLY nice.

Good luck!
-Scott