Cannot compile my first Cygwin program

Max Bowsher maxb@ukf.net
Wed Oct 30 01:38:00 GMT 2002

jblazi <jblazi@gmx.de> wrote:

> Thank you for your help.

No problem.

>> The -I option shouldn't be needed at all.
>
> I saw that there is no such thing in the Cygwin examples. I suspect
> that I should set some variables manually. But which ones?

None.

>> *Backslash paths* !?!?! From *Cygwin* gcc? Could you have some other
>> gcc on your Windows system?
>
> I do not understand what you mean. It plays absolutely no rôle
> whether I use \cygwin... or /cygwin...

The error messages you posted showed backslashes in the error messages.
Cygwin gcc prints forward-slash paths in its error messages.

>> Run the command "gcc -v" and post the output.
>
> Here is the output:
>
> d:\cygwin\home\Administrator\c-programme>gcc -v
> gcc -v
> Using builtin specs.
> gcc version 2.95 19990728 (release)

Right - This version of gcc is either not from Cygwin at all, or is truly
ancient.
You should probably remove your Cygwin install and install the latest
version.

>> So / = d:\cygwin, but you don't want the -I option anyway.
>
> If I do not specify -I then the include path is not found and I get
> an error message.

This indicates that your installation is broken, not that you are supposed
to supply a command line option.

Max.

PS: Please keep replies on cygwin@cygwin.com.