Can't write .profile from vi

Cyber.Zombie Cyber.Zombie@attbi.com
Mon Sep 2 21:07:00 GMT 2002


"cat /etc/passwd" and look at your numeric user and group ids.  Now do a 
"ls -aln .profile".  I'm betting (given you're on a domain) that the id 
is not gonna match up with what NT thinks it should be -- and you should 
do a "mkpasswd -d ..." rather than -l (same using mkgroup).

Either that or do a "w!" (or chmod 777) on .profile...

luke.kendall@cisra.canon.com.au wrote:

>My ~/.profile file is the only one I've found with this problem.
>As far a I can see, I have write permission, I am me, but I'm not
>allowed to write the file from vi!  I have to write it into another
>file in my home directory and then cp that on top of .profile!
>
>$ vi ~/.profile
>
>-rwxr-xr-x    1 luke     Domain U     4327 Aug 30 10:40 /home/luke/.profile
>Hit ENTER or type command to continue
>uid=11021(luke) gid=10513(Domain Users) groups=10513(Domain Users)
>"~/.profile"
>"~/.profile" E212: Can't open file for writing
>Hit ENTER or type command to continue
>
>I'm using /usr/bin/vi from the Cygwin installation.
>
>luke
>
>
>--
>Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
>Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
>Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
>FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
>
>
>  
>



--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/



More information about the Cygwin mailing list