Problem with rsh

Andrew DeFaria ADeFaria@Salira.com
Tue Sep 3 13:47:00 GMT 2002

I've run into a major problem using rsh. Note that I've been using rsh
successfully for a while and many people here depend on being able to
rsh into the server. However now I get:

$ rsh server id
server.mydomain.com: Permission denied.

If, however, I stop inetd as a service and run it instead at the command
line with inetd -d then it works fine. Note that "rsh server" also works
in that it is essentially an rlogin however we need the ability to rsh
with a command.

What changed? Why is this suddenly broken? Note that the server is
runing Cygwin 1.3.9 and has been for quite some time without a problem.

Also, on my system running Cygwin 1.3.12-4 I also cannot rsh into my own
machine.

$ rsh adefaria id
adefaria.mydomain.com: Login incorrect.

Note the different error message. Again, running inetd -d from the
command line works OK. I think that perhaps this might have something to
do outside of Cygwin like maybe that my ~/.rhosts file is not able to be
read correctly due to some change in Windows permissions on the share
where my home directory exists. If this is the case what/how do I check
this?

Thanks in advance.