BASH Shell Crashes When Loaded

Pavel Tsekov ptsekov@gmx.net
Sun Sep 8 05:08:00 GMT 2002

On Sun, 8 Sep 2002, Ryan Smith wrote:

> Everytime I load the bash shell it crashes immediately and gives me this
> error:
>
> The program encountered a general protection exception.
> Fault location:         FFFF:FFFF
> Interupts in Service:   None
>
> In the setup.log file it keeps showing this error:
> compress_bz::error called
The line above has nothing to do with the crash that you are experiencing.

> I'm using the latest setup.exe on WinME and no matter what packages I select
> or what source I get the files from (I use the 'Install from Internet'
> option), BASH will always crash.  Does anybody know how to fix this?

Installing random source/binary packages is unlikely to help.

You have to provide more information on your environment and the crash
itself.

Reading http://cygwin.com/bugs.html may help you to provide this
information. The ouput of 'strace' on  bash would help also - i.e.
instead of starting bash from the shortcut, run a command prompt window
and type 'strace -o bash.strace c:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe' (without the
quotes) - obviously you have to replace c:\cygwin with the actual
location where you have installed Cygwin.