Beginnings of a patch: /etc/hosts

Randall R Schulz rrschulz@cris.com
Wed Sep 11 17:10:00 GMT 2002

Rob,

That rule is only apt if the user knows what external state is used as
input to the program they're running. If that input or dependency is made
explicit somehow (documentation might suffice), then you're right and it's
a matter of user control. However, if the user must examine the program's
source code to know why it's not behaving in the manner its authors
describe, that's not cool.

As you may know, I don't subscribe to that "Use the Source, Duke" business.
If one must understand the internal workings of a thing just to use it,
it's not very good technology. It virtually negates the concept of automation!

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA