Getting MAC address within C/C++-program in Windows2000

Warren Young warren@etr-usa.com
Thu Sep 12 10:46:00 GMT 2002

cgf-cygwin@cygwin.com wrote:

> It's entirely possible that there is a problem with Cygwin's interface
> but I really don't understand why the focus shifted to using Windows
> mechanisms when a potential actual cygwin solution exists.

Right on, Chris.  If the Cygwin mechanism is broken, it should be made
to work instead of rolling your own outside of Cygwin.

For what it's worth, in my time of maintiaining the Winsock FAQ, I've
come across probably 10 different ways to get the MAC address on
Windows.  One works on NetBIOS systems, one on IP-only systems, one uses
SNMP, a few are hacks, several are indirect methods...  The FAQ itself
documents 3 or 4 of them and points to a few more.  Then I lost interest
in keeping track of that mess.  Point being: it's much better to let
Cygwin handle messes like this.