(setup.ini) autoconf requires Perl?

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Fri Sep 13 09:33:00 GMT 2002

On 13 Sep 2002, Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> writes:
>
> > On 13 Sep 2002, Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:
> >
> > > P.S. How about renaming Cygwin Perl to "perl" instead of "perl.exe"?
> >
> > If you are worried about name clashes, you're better off moving the
> > ActivePerl directory to the front of your path (in /etc/profile, for
> > example).
>
> No, not really.  ActivePerl and Cygwin Perl are *different* programs.
> You know which one you want when you invoke it, not when you set up
> your PATH; they really must have different names.
>
> Under your suggestion, the name for ActivePerl would be "perl" and the
> name for Cygwin Perl would be "/usr/bin/perl".  This makes it
> impossible to write a portable script between Unix (where perl might
> really be "/usr/local/bin/perl") and Cygwin.
>
> We don't happen to have any such scripts, so your suggestion works for
> us and is what I plan to do.  But it really isn't the "right" answer.
> Neither is my suggestion, really, but for different reasons :-).

Not quite.  If you know exactly which perl you want, you specify the exact
path (i.e. #!/usr/bin/perl or #!/cygdrive/c/ActivePerl/bin/perl).  If
you're using just "perl", you get what you paid for (i.e. whatever's in
the path).  I think autoconf uses an explicit path to perl, so $PATH
shouldn't matter much.
Oh, and perl, when installed in /usr/local/bin, usually has a wrapper in
/usr/bin, so using /usr/bin/perl should be pretty portable.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

It took the computational power of three Commodore 64s to fly to the moon.
It takes a 486 to run Windows 95.  Something is wrong here. -- SC sig file