mkpasswd takes 18 hours to finish!

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Fri Sep 13 12:23:00 GMT 2002

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, rotaiv wrote:

> At 9/13/2002  11:24 AM, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>
> Not to be over technical but you should use:
>
>    mkpasswd -d -u MY_USER_ID >> /etc/passwd
>
> This will retrieve a single user from the current domain without
> enumerating all the users.  This takes less than a second on my system
> (around 5,000 users).

Yes, but the original poster's problem was that his username was not in
the default domain.  Thus, your solution won't work.

> An earlier email recommended the following:
>
> >mkpasswd -d MY_DOMAIN -u MY_USER_ID >> /etc/passwd
>
> The problem with this example is if you specify the domain it will still
> enumerate all the user accounts even though a user name was
> specified.  This will still take 18 hours for some people.  According to
> the help, the actually domain name is not needed as it defaults to the
> current domain.

This is not true.

Specifying both the username and the domain name results in extracting
just that one user from the domain (as can be plainly seen from the source
of mkpasswd.c).

It may be that the order of arguments matters, and that the correct way to
specify the username and the domain would be
	mkpasswd -u MY_USER_ID -d MY_DOMAIN >> /etc/passwd
but the point remains the same.

> Another email suggested this syntax:
>
> >mkpasswd -d MY_DOMAIN | grep MY_USER_ID >> /etc/passwd
>
> This will still enumerate all the user accounts but only keeps the
> MY_USER_ID line.  Once again, the actual domain name is not needed and this
> will still take 18 hours.
>
> Regards,
> rotaiv.

The last point is true, but, as far as I could see, was not disputed by
anyone.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

It took the computational power of three Commodore 64s to fly to the moon.
It takes a 486 to run Windows 95.  Something is wrong here. -- SC sig file