Curious behavior of CYGSERVER

David A. Cobb superbiskit@cox.net
Sun Sep 15 11:33:00 GMT 2002

Conrad Scott wrote:

>"David A. Cobb" <superbiskit@cox.net> wrote:
>

>>I discussed above (http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-09/msg00302.html)
>>

>>my problems attempting to do a bootstrap of gcc-3.2.   One experiment
>>involved firing up CYGSERVER.  As mentioned in the previous thread, the program went much much much further this way -- make check took about 13 hours!
>>

>I'm hoping that this is because `make check' did more work rather than
>cygserver somehow slowing down the process . . .

In fact, the process goes remarkably *faster* with cygserver running.
 The make-check ran to completion (C, C++, Java, Obj-C).  Ada didn't get
built for other reasons.

>>In the process, I notice two unexpected behaviors.  The CYGSERVER emits
>>

>>dots (.) on the screen every little while - perhaps it emits one
>>everytime it gets called.  This isn't bad -- it makes a handy pulse to
>>be sure the machine hasn't just frozen up.  Three screenshots are
>>attached fro the make  check run.
>>

>It's just being warm and cuddly, like Robert Collins mentioned: I've
>made it less friendly, as Nicholas Wourms mentioned :-)
>

>>What is really bad is that somehow, having CYGSERVER involved defeats
>>the stdout redirection.  For example, the make check not only ran for
>>

>13
>

>>hours, but it also gave me very little clue as to its success or
>>

>failure.
>
>This I don't understand and cannot recreate any such problem.  That is,
>with cygserver running, redirection of both stdout and stderr work fine
>in my little tests.  Could you give more detail on exactly how stdout
>redirection is "defeated"?

I have my configure, make-bootstrap, make-check bundled in a single
"build.sh" script.  If I do either:

$ source ./build.sh >build.log 2>&1; or
$ ./build.sh >build.log 2>&1

It goes merrily along but, when all is said and done, "build.log" don't
exist.  Not even somehow misplaced - I searched my whole darn machine.

I also did a $ find ..... >found-files.txt and had the same result (no
output file)

>BTW, I'm running on win2k just now: which platform are you using?
>Perhaps the output of `cygcheck -s -v -r' would help matters here.

Win2000pro, everything up to latest release (no development stuff until
I can get some good builds).

>Also, as Nicholas mentioned, if you're using any version of cygserver
>other than the development one on the cygwin_daemon branch, you'll need
>to clean up its droppings after it's done otherwise everything runs very
>slowly: that is, remove the /tmp/cygdaemo socket file if you're not
>running cygserver anymore.

Thanks, I'll do that in future.  I hadn't noticed.  WAIT A MO', I
cleaned up /tmp yesterday before one run and the Windows exception came
back even with Cygserver active.  Check my other thread about that.

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim; R. M. French, tr.