chmod in cygwin shell

Zieg, Mark mark.zieg@lmco.com
Tue Sep 24 07:46:00 GMT 2002

> I cant set the x bit to my files. I am the user who installed cygwin and
who
> dowloaded thee files which i want
> to make executeable now.

This almost certainly isn't the right long-term solution, but if you just
want a quick fix, you might try this:

  ziegm $ touch newfile

  ziegm $ ls -la newfile
  -rw-r--r--    1 ziegm    None            0 Sep 24 10:04 newfile

  ziegm $ cacls newfile /E /G Everyone:F
  processed file: C:\cygwin\home\ziegm\newfile

  ziegm $ ls -la newfile
  -rwxrwxrwx    1 ziegm    None            0 Sep 24 10:04 newfile

cacls ("Change ACLs") is WinNT/2k's analog to chmod (it's not a direct
mapping, but they're similar).

Anyway, I found it when having the same "chmod +x" problem on my system.  My
problem went away when I learned to do the "mkpasswd -u ziegm -d mydomain >>
/etc/passwd" setup step.