Lost /bin/latex?

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Tue Sep 24 15:59:00 GMT 2002

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> writes:
>
> > Am I going crazy, or has my computer lost /bin/latex?  For some reason I
> > recall using tetex to process latex documents.  However, now that I've
> > looked, I can't find /bin/latex.exe.
>
> That's strange.  Upgrading should have been automagically.
>
> > It's not even part of the tetex package.  Anyone else have that
> > problem?
>
> /usr/bin/tex.exe is in the tetex-bin package, please select and
> install that.  latex is just a symbolic link.
>
> Greetings,
> Jan.

Jan,

Thanks, I realized it's a symbolic link shortly after I sent the message.

However, something did go wrong with the installation.  I ended up with
invalid symbolic links in /bin (e.g., /usr/bin/initex was a symbolic link
to "bin/tex.exe").  Also, any attempt to run latex failed with a '(Fatal
format file error; I'm stymied)'.

This was still a problem after I completely uninstalled and reinstalled
the tetex packages (tetex-base, tetex-bin, tetex-extra, tetex, and
libkpathsea3).

Running 'texconfig confall; texconfig rehash; texconfig init; texconfig
dvips printcmd -' fixed the 'Fatal error' problem, but the invalid
symbolic links are still there.  This sequence of texconfig commands is,
for some reason, commented out from the /etc/postinstall/post-tetex.sh,
but is present in /etc/postinstall/post-texmf.sh, and I assume has been
run (there is no log of the postinstall script invocations, is there?).

Anyway, I can change the links by hand, and latex now works (well enough
for me), but I thought the above merited your attention.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Water molecules expand as they grow warmer" (C) Popular Science, Oct'02, p.51