ftp and ncftp hangs: any ideas?

Rob Anderson rob@reawebtech.com
Wed Sep 25 22:23:00 GMT 2002

Newest version installed off the web today, previous version
6 mos ago did not have the problem.

Symptom: ftp hangs after ls, or get, or put. It hangs
AFTER completing the operation. (overrun?)

Systems: Win 98 (cygwin) talking to Linux.

Other:
       I thought it might be related to rxvt, so I switched back to
the dos shell: it still hangs under bash.
       I tried ncftp, often it will run without hanging, however if
I set "passive" or other switches it too will hang. It seems like if
I set any options for it, it hangs the same way.
       I tried redirecting the console (<<!) and ftp still did the
same thing, ncftp seems to overrun, but I have no previous experience
with ncftp to compare.

THE DOS VERSION OF FTP works ok, it does not hang under the dos shell
so (IMO) it is bash/cygwin related.

Any ideas on what to try?

Thanks,

Rob