sysvinit for cygwin?

Michael A Chase mchase@ix.netcom.com
Sat Sep 28 08:14:00 GMT 2002

On Sat, 28 Sep 2002 01:01:53 -0300 Ariel Manzur <listas@anime.com.ar> wrote:

> At 18:32 27/09/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>>On Fri, 27 Sep 2002 20:44:51 -0300 Ariel Manzur
> <punto@juegosonline.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>> is there a 'sysvinit' package for cygwin? I'm only interested in being able
>>> to switch consoles using alt-f1 to 6, I understand the program 'init' is
>>> the one that manages that. Is there at least a 'clon' of that for cygwin?
>>
>>There isn't, but there wouldn't be much point.  Cygwin console windows are
>>Windows windows (usually either cmd.exe or rxvt.exe) so you can switch
>>between them using Alt-TAB.
>
> But there is :) I use cygwin in 'terminal mode', and sometimes my video
> driver crashes windows when I switch between console mode and the desktop
> too often. Also, I'd like to be able to have more than one shell without
> having to use the 'start' menu on windows to launch a different window (and
> I couldn't get 'screen' to work properly either :(

When you say 'terminal mode' do you mean you log in through telnet, open a
console window using the provided Cygwin icon, open a rxvt window or, open
an X window?  If it is the last, cygwin@cygwin.com is the wrong list, use
cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com instead.  For the others, I use a normal console
window and switch between it and windows applications continually
throughout the day with no problems; you may have a configuration problem
in Windows, but someone else on the list is likely to be able to help more
after you give more details.

> So, would it be possible to port the existing one, or should I just write
> my own terminal swintching thing?

If you want it to happen, you will have to do it yourself or convince
someone on cygwin@cygwin.com that it is worth doing.  I have neither the
skills nor the interest.

--
Mac :})