ncftp 3.1.4 bookmark save problem

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Sat Sep 28 15:06:00 GMT 2002

On Sat, 28 Sep 2002, Dino Morelli wrote:

> At 02:02 PM 9/28/2002 -0400, you wrote:
> >On Sat, 28 Sep 2002, Dino Morelli wrote:
> >
> > > I just got the nearly complete cygwin setup this week (minus XFree86) and
> > > have noticed that ncftp is having a problem saving bookmarks.
> > >
> > > My $HOME is /cygdrive/c/Document and Settings/stimpleton
> > > (yes, with spaces, God damn Windows to hell)
> > >
> > > It's not making a $HOME/.ncftp directory and fails even if I make one for
> > > it and do 'chmod 666 $HOME/.ncftp'
> > >
> > > The error message I get is "Sorry, configuration information is not saved
> > > for this user."
> > >
> > > I also tried to set $NCFTPDIR to something non-spacey like /cygdrive/c and
> > > it still fails to create bookmark info at that location. (as per the man
> > > page on environment variables that ncftp is supposed to use)
> > >
> > > I'm running under Windows XP Pro SP1
> >
> >Hmm, Windows usually names that directory "Documents and Settings" (notice
> >the "s").  Just making sure you're using the right one (which you should
> >be, since you can create a $HOME/.ncftp), so just covering the bases here.
>
> Well, truth is I have to do 'mkdir "$HOME/.ncftp"' quoted because of the
> spaces in HOME. But this type of home variable has been cool with the other
> parts of cygwin that I've been using for a long time.
>
> I'm not 100% certain, but I think this used to work for ncftp at some point
> in the not-so-distant. With the spacey HOME, I mean.

What I meant was that the directory is named "Documents and Settings", not
"Document and Settings", as you typed in your original post.  But I'm sure
it was just a typo.

> >What is your $CYGWIN setting?  Are you running ncftp from a bash shell, or
> >from a shortcut?  If the latter, is your $CYGWIN set in .bashrc or
> >similar, or is it set in the Windows environment?
>
> CYGWIN is not set at all
> I'm running from bash
>
> >ncftp seems to extract the value of $HOME from /etc/passwd, rather than
> >from the current value of $HOME...  What is your home directory set to in
> >/etc/passwd?

This is probably a bug in [the Cygwin port of] ncftp (either that or an
outdated man page).

> Hm. in /etc/passwd my home is /home/[username]
> All users' homes are like that under /home  I wonder if this has always
> been in cygwin. I never looked in /etc/passwd before.

This is the default.  You can edit /etc/passwd and change it for your
user (make a backup copy first, just in case).

If the directory specified in /etc/passwd is missing, this could be the
reason for the error message you're getting.

FYI, $NCFTPDIR represents the name of the directory that will actually
contain the files, not the parent of .ncftp, i.e. the default setting
would be NCFTPDIR="$HOME/.ncftp".  It works for me on Win2k SP2, same
version of ncftp as you have.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Water molecules expand as they grow warmer" (C) Popular Science, Oct'02, p.51