[Proposal] Moving user mount information to HKLM

Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com
Mon Sep 30 09:09:00 GMT 2002

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 06:50:28AM -0700, Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:
>>This is in reply to Christopher Faylor's post
>>http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-09/msg01430.html
>>
>>With this in mind I will like you to consider publishing in the Cygwin
>>FAQ the guidlines one should use for distributing an (open source)
>>application outside the official net release.  I believe it is an
>>important topic in the spirit of 'getting our minds set'.
>>
>>Personally I am thinking of using the setup tool to install the
>>packages that creates the environment used to build the application and
>>add the extra application package(s) to setup.ini.
>
>I have actually thought of getting something like this together.  It
>would include step-by-step instructions for creating your own local
>custom-package repository.  Unfortunately this also means it would have
>to include discussion of upset and all the problems associated with
>changes in setup.exe/upset/setup.ini.  Any thoughts on whether this
>would be worth it?

The goal of this mailing list and of the cygwin distribution is not to
support other people in their quest to bundle and massage the standard
distribution.  Maybe someone should set up another mailing list or
another web site to discuss this.  I don't think we want to open up this
topic here.  We get quite enough traffic here without adding another
"How do I setup.ini the upset?" questions to the mix.

cgf