Updated: perl-5.8.0-2

Rolf Campbell rcampbell@tropicnetworks.com
Wed Apr 2 21:16:00 GMT 2003

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> Hallo Rolf,
> Am Dienstag, 1. April 2003 um 18:13 schriebst du:
>>Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
>>>
>>>I don't see the problem in the latest Perl (5.9.0) and I'm trying to
>>>figure out how it can be fixed, in the meantime, please try to use the
>>>magic PERLIO=perlio setting for your environment.
>>>Gerrit
>>Ok, using PERLIO=perlio, but I'm still having a problem (which worked in
>>the previous version of Perl).

>>TEST.PL:
>>1:#!/bin/perl
>>2:$/ = "\r\n";
>>3:
>>4:open( LOG, "<in" ) ||
>>5:  die "Could not open log.\n";
>>6:binmode LOG, ":crlf";
>>7:
>>8:$in = <LOG>;
>>9:print $in;
>

>>in (od -c in):
>>0000000   a   b   c  \r  \n   d   e   f  \r  \n
>>0000012
>

>>This is on a BINMODE mount.  This script outputs "0000000   a   b   c
>>\n   d   e   f  \n".  If I go back to prev Perl, OR remove line#2 OR
>>remove line#6, then it outputs "0000000   a   b   c  \n"
>

> 1. No PERLIO setting:
>
> $ od -c in
> 0000000   a   b   c  \r  \n   a   b   c  \r  \n
> 0000012
>
> $ ./crlf.pl 2>&1 | tee log.in
> abc
> abc
>
> $ od -c log.in
> 0000000   a   b   c  \r  \n   a   b   c  \r  \n
> 0000012
>
> 2. PERLIO=perlio:
>
> $ export PERLIO=perlio
>
> $ ./crlf.pl 2>&1 | tee log.in
> abc
> abc
>
> $ od -c log.in
> 0000000   a   b   c  \n   a   b   c  \n
> 0000010
>

> 3. PERLIO=raw:
>
> $ export PERLIO=raw
>
> $ ./crlf.pl 2>&1 | tee log.in
> abc
> abc
>
> $ od -c log.in
> 0000000   a   b   c  \n   a   b   c  \n
> 0000010
>
> 4. PERLIO=stdio:
>
> $ export PERLIO=stdio
>
> $ ./crlf.pl 2>&1 | tee log.in
> abc
> abc
>
> $ od -c log.in
> 0000000   a   b   c  \n   a   b   c  \n
> 0000010
>
> 5. PERLIO=:
>
> $ export PERLIO=
>
> $ ./crlf.pl 2>&1 | tee log.in
> abc
> abc
>
> $ od -c log.in
> 0000000   a   b   c  \r  \n   a   b   c  \r  \n
> 0000012
>

> Gerrit

Ok, so you get the same results as me.  They are both wrong.  The script
should only print the first line.

I just tried something, I made a file like this: "0000000   a   b   c
\r  \r  \n   d   e   f  \r  \r  \n".  Then the perl script shows only
the first line.

In 5.6: setting 'binmode LOG, ":crlf";' would set the line-separator to
"\r\n".
In 5.8: setting 'binmode LOG, ":crlf";' sets the line-separator to "\r"
+ $/.  So, given that I've already set the line-separator to "\r\n" it
ends up as "\r\r\n" for that file.

Does anybody have access to a U/Linux machine with perl 5.8 on it?  Can
they run that test script on it?  I'd like to know if this is only a
problem with cygwin-perl or with perl in general.