Bug in Cygwin bash?

Randall R Schulz rrschulz@cris.com
Thu Apr 3 03:24:00 GMT 2003

John,

Are you a famous composer? If so, are you _the_ famous composer?

At 18:58 2003-04-02, John Williams wrote:
>Randall R Schulz wrote:
>>John,
>>Yes, there's a limitation on the total volume of argument strings.
>>All Unix systems have such a limit and so does Cygwin. The limits
>>vary from system to system, though POSIX dictates a minimum value for
>>this limit.
>
>Anybody know the standard Cygwin limit off the top of their head?  I'm
>guessing 32K, given what I saw with mkdep

You shouldn't want to know this. If anything, you should want to know
the POSIX minimum for this limit.

>>For cases where the total list of files can be processed in pieces,
>>the xargs command will do the divvying up for you, invoking the
>>command as many times as needed to process all the arguments it reads
>>from standard input. Check it out--it should be in your
>>script-writing repertoire.
>
>Yup - I used xargs in my solution to this problem.  It seems not many
>people build linux kernels under cygwin - I think if they did, this
>issue I've found would have been reported earlier, because it's the
>first step in the kernel configuration process.

I'm guessing very few Linux kernels get built under Cygwin, but I could
be wrong.

That tyrant CGF, who won't let me leave, uses Linux to build Cygwin. Is
that irony or hypocrisy? (Right, right. It's "pragmatism.")

>Thanks for your reply,
>
>John

Randall Schulz