Copy to a CD and distribute to students

Ronald Landheer-Cieslak ronald@landheer.com
Tue Apr 8 10:27:00 GMT 2003

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Andrew Markebo wrote:
> / Ronald Landheer-Cieslak <ronald@landheer.com> wrote:
> | On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, nuno Cerqueira wrote:
> |> I would like to ask if there is any problem making the download of
> |> Cygwin packages to a CD and then distribute to students.
> | No, as long as you include the sources as required by GPL.
> The source isn't needed to be provided until asked for, so it doesn't
> need to be included on the cd's, as long as he can hand it out if the
> students asks.
And keeps it around for three years..

The GPL doesn't require you to give the source, I stand corrected, you are
right.

The GPL *does* require you to be able to give them for a period of three
years if you don't give them directly - which I think may not be all that
practical for the original poster.

> And here.. it is not enough to be able to point the students to the
> cygwin web, you need to have it on your own CD/HD/paper.. whatever.
In deed, so you might as well put it on the same CD and save yourself the
trouble of having a master source CD around for three years.

rlc