Happy Birthday (late), cgf...

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Fri Apr 11 17:28:00 GMT 2003

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 04:52:19AM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
> >Here's an otter logo attempt for cygwin, accompanied by a 96x179 bitmap
> >suitable for use in the setup.exe splash screen.
> >
> >The tarball contains the original sketch (.sk) file, as well as .eps,
> >.svg, .pdf version.  Plus the scripts I used to translate those images
> >into .pngs and to composite with Gary's giant C.
> >
> >For the truly insane, check these links out, from the 'png meta server'
> >(pointing back to the pngs on my webserver)
> >
> >http://www.sixlegs.com/software/png/meta/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.neuro.gatech.edu%2Fusers%2Fcwilson%2Fcygwin-otter-setup.png
> >http://www.sixlegs.com/software/png/meta/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.neuro.gatech.edu%2Fusers%2Fcwilson%2Fcygwin-otter.png
> >
> >I put a copyright notice on the images solely so that I could GPL them,
> >as requested by Rob.
>
> I like it... but...  I've always pictured the otter on its back.

Chris, is this what you pictured:
<http://www.funcollections.com/_borders/secondnature/opalodie.jpg>?
Or is this:
<http://www.funcollections.com/_borders/secondnature/oprah.jpg>?

Since Chuck obviously used one of the photos on that page as a model for
his drawing, he could probably use another one as well.  FWIW, I have the
second one as a stone figurine, and can probably post (or send privately)
a few digital pics from different angles, if it's helpful...

> My son drew one like that, lounging on the bottom of the cygwin logo,
> playing with the "arrow" in the center, like a fish.  He did it on poor
> quality paper in pencil and we could never get a scan that we liked.
>
> Then he got a girlfriend, so...
>
> So, in true open source fashion, I'm saying "Thanks!  It really is great!
> Would you mind...?"
>
> Thanks for the birthday wishes, too.
> cgf

Oh, and the second one is actually bent at an angle (like a "<"), so we
could actually wrap it around the little black thing in the Cygwin logo
instead of the green "C".  Just a thought.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II