Happy Birthday (late), cgf...

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Sat Apr 12 06:47:00 GMT 2003

Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>Here's an otter logo attempt for cygwin
                        ^^^^^^^
I said "attempt" and I meant it; this was by no means perfect.  It was
something I'd been meaning to do for a while, and figured the wake for
cgf's laptop needed a little New Orleans jazz... (if ya get the metaphor)

> I like it... but...  I've always pictured the otter on its back.

TTTT, me too -- in the generic sense that "otters are always on their
back, floating in the water, cracking open abalone shells by banging
them against a rock that is resting on their chest".

Don't know why, but that's the image I always picture when I think of
otters.  Probably from some silly "Blue Dolphin Island" or somesuch book
  I may have read as a child.  But this isn't my therapist's office, so
we'll just leave it there.

> My son drew one like that, lounging on the bottom of the cygwin logo,
> playing with the "arrow" in the center, like a fish.  He did it on poor
> quality paper in pencil and we could never get a scan that we liked.

Sounds neat.  If you have the crappy scans, I'll take a look and see if
I can't doodle something similar.  But I truly have no non-musical
artistic talent at all; I have to have something to look at...

> Then he got a girlfriend, so...
>
> So, in true open source fashion, I'm saying "Thanks!  It really is great!
> Would you mind...?"

No, not at all ... but it'll be a while; I've got "family issues" for
the next few weeks.

Now, Tux has an established "look"; regardless of pose, you always
recognize Tux as distinguished from some other penguin (like Opus, the
political-junkie penguin from Bloom County).  "My" rendition
unfortunately doesn't have that sort of personality...

But, the point remains: Tux is Tux is Tux regardless of pose.
Similarly, [*] is [*] is [*] -- whether lying on his back or sitting
upright.

[*] cutesy name to be determined later.

--Chuck