setup.exe and "in-use-file"

Sven Köhler skoehler@upb.de
Mon Apr 14 02:45:00 GMT 2003

> Sven-

Martin-

> To put in your new DLL to replace the DLL which is currently running you
> will have to find the Cygwin task that is using the DLL and kill it so the
> process will release it's lock on resources that it is using...

I already know that, i hopefully didn't write anything, that lead people
to the conclusion, that i want setup.exe to do that.

> Make Sense?

Sure, but that's still not what i'm talking about!

setup.exe currently does the follwoing to write a file:

1. open destination.file
successful: jump to 2
error: jump to 3
2. write content, close file and jump to 4
3. write content to another file, and tell windows to replace the
destination-file on next reboot.
4. process next file

all i want setup.exe to do, is the following

1. same as step 1 above
2. same as step 2 above
3a. inform user, that file cannot be opened for writing because it is in
use and ask the user, if setup.exe should retry
user chooses YES: goto step 1
user chooses NO: goto step 3b
3b. same as step 3 above
4. same as step 4 above

of course it would be nice to know which process is using the file, but
that's not what i'm talking about! i'm just want setup.exe to avoid
reboots by __interacting__ with the __user__!!!