chmod again

Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc.) lhall@rfk.com
Tue Apr 15 04:39:00 GMT 2003

John Williams wrote:
> Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc.) wrote:
>
>> John Williams wrote:
>>
>>> Also to Igor, the output from cygcheck -svr is huge, should I attach
>>> all of it, or is there a particular relevant snip?
>>>
>> How huge is "huge"?  The output from my system is 28K.
>

> Yes sounds about right - I call 28K huge enough to ask first before
> posting it verbatim to a newsgroup! :)

That's polite.  That's a size we have to live with here.

>> You're sure you're working on an NTFS partition and that you set
>> ntsec in your CYGWIN environment variable *before* starting any
>> Cygwin process (including services)?
>

> I'm doing this on a fat32 partition...

OK, that's the problem then.  I guess you didn't read the FAQ entry:

Why doesn't chmod work?
<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_4.html#SEC45>

chmod does nothing on FAT drives unless you're running some version
of NT and you're willing to incur the overhead of a large file in
your root (enabled by setting 'ntea' in your CYGWIN environment variable).

This has been a popular issue today.  Yours is the second email message
I've pointed to this FAQ entry in the last hour!   We'll be filling the
email archives with repeats fast. ;-)