Cygwin Install error on Windows 2000 professional

Dave Brunberg DBrunberg@FBLEOPOLD.com
Tue Apr 15 14:09:00 GMT 2003

Hi,

I'm having a problem installing cygwin on windows 2000 professional.  I've
successfully installed cygwin on win [95,98,NT4] and have not run into this
sort of problem before.

Short version:

I run setup.exe, "Download from Internet"  I choose All->Install and let it
download from the ftp.nas.nasa.gov mirror.
After all has been dl'd, I run setup.exe as Administrator and choose
"Install from Local Directory"
I choose All->Install, and let 'er rip.
After all files are copied, etc., the setup script fails by not finding a
multitude of dlls, including cygiconv-2.dll, cygintl??.dll, and a few other
ones which appear to be more or less required.  The PATH is ok, and the
directories in the specified PATH exist.
The install script fails at every step which runs a program (sed is one
major one) that requires one of the missing dlls.

I check the installed C:\cygwin tree, and lo and behold, those files are not
to be found, in the PATH nor elsewhere.  I can open a bash shell, but even
simple things like 'ls' give me "command not found".

Then I deleted the installed tree, the Cygnus registry keys, and tried to
install the bare bones cygwin, but I have the same problems with missing
libraries.

This is all done with the latest version of cygwin that I dl'd two days ago.

Can anyone offer me some advice?  Is there anything special about win2k I
should know to install cygwin?

Thanks,

dwb