Crontab on Win9X works

David Byron DByron@everdreamcorp.com
Tue Apr 15 18:14:00 GMT 2003

Pierre A. Humblet wrote

> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 10:44:23PM -0400, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
>
> > > The change in env.c reverts to ignoring the daemon
> > > environment, on Win9x only.
> >
> > Why?
>
> For the same reason as the original cron does it, I guess.
> On Win9X it is typically a large user environment, including
> functions in the case of bash. On NT it is only the small
> service environment. Also the functions screw up the mail
> headers (because "}>" isn't a valid
> mail header), as in
> ******************************
> Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 18:20:00 -0400
>
> }>
> -pwidth 8
>   -pheight 7 -but_per_row 3 +-startgridmode 1 -startposnmode 1 $* & }>
> **********************************

I ran into this same thing under XP when I start cron from my user context.
One of my environment variables has a carriage return in it so that
everything before it goes properly into the header, and everything after it
goes into the body of the message.  I'm not sure what the right solution is.
Is there some kind of quoting convention that ssmtp understands?  I'm
attaching /etc/profile since it contains the offending definition of PS1 and
it's hard to get right in the body of the message.

This part ends up in the header:

This ends up in the body of the message:

\033[32m\]\u@\h \[\033[33m\w\033[0m\]
$ >

[rest of environment variables snipped...]

> > > USE_SIGCHLD is now left undefined in compat.h to get
> > > rid of a syslog message about the mail command failing.
> >
> > Why?  Isn't a syslog message what we want if the mail command fails?
>
> The message will be there if needed. Currently it can be
> there even when mail succeeds (wait() can return -1).

Thank you.

-DB
--
David Byron                   dbyron@everdream.com